:: P-1 Visa
P-1 Visas allow foreign nationals who are athletes, internationally recognized artists, and entertainers to enter the U.S. to perform at a
specific competition, event or performance. Athletes and Group Entertainers who do not meet the requirements of O Visa may apply for the P Visa. Except for
individual P-1 athletes, there is no limitation on the period of stay for P non-immigrants. The initial period of stay can be approved for the time necessary for the specific competition, event, or performance, up to a period of one year and an extension of stay can be granted for an additional period of five years for a total period of stay not to exceed 10 years.
:: P Visa Eligibility Requirements for Athletes
Athlete must have achieved international recognition in the sport. Evidence of international recognition may include a tendered contract with a major U.S. Sports League or Team, or a tendered contract in an individual sport commensurate with international recognition in that sport, and at least two of the following forms of documentation:
1. Participation in a prior season with a major U.S. Sports League.
2. Participation in international competition with a national team.
3. Participation in a prior season for a U.S. College in intercollegiate competition.
4. A statement from an official of a major U.S. Sports League or an official of the governing body of the sport detailing how that alien or the team is internationally recognized.
5. A statement from a member of the sports media or a recognized expert in the sport which details how the alien or the team is internationally recognized.
6. International rankings of the individual or team.
7. Significant honors or awards in the sport received by the individual or team.
:: P Visa Eligibility Requirements for Entertainers
Entertainers must perform with, or be an integral and essential part of the performance of, an entertainment group that has received international recognition as "outstanding" for a "sustained and substantial period of time." 75% of the members of the group must have had a sustained and substantial relationship with the group for at least one year and must provide functions integral to the group's performance. Evidence of international recognition may include the group's nomination of receipt of significant international awards or pries for outstanding achievement in its field, or at least three of the following forms of documentation:
1. Performed or will perform as a starring or leading entertainment group in productions or events which have a distinguished reputation.
2. Achieved international recognition and acclaim for outstanding achievements in its field as evidenced by reviews in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other published material.
3. Performed and will perform services as a leading or starring group for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation.
4. A record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes.
5. Achieved significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies, or other recognized experts in the field.
6. Commanded or now commands a high salary or other substantial remuneration for services comparable to others similarly situated in the field.